Newsletter – Spring 2014. To view our latest newsletter click Here.
Ice Skating Rink. Due to vandalism the ice skating rink will be closed for the season and won’t be available for use until further notice. If you witness any suspicious activity at our park please call our office at 717-263-9160.
Spring Bulk Collection. Bulk Collection days for Spring 2014 have been scheduled for Friday, April 11 & Saturday, April 12, 2014. See below for more details.
Spring Brush & Leaf Collection. Collection days for Spring 2014 have been scheduled. See below for dates and details.
Conococheague Trailway. A Feasibility Study for the Conococheague Trailway in Greene Township, Guilford Township, and Chambersburg Borough is complete. Visit our Trailway Feasibility Study page for more information.
Are you in Compliance with Pennsylvania’s Manure Management Requirements? All operations that have animals need to develop and implement a written Manure Management Plan. This includes the backyard owners of horses, goats, sheep, etc. Click Here for more information.
Greene Township Park. Please visit the Park Information page for information on the new and existing recreation facilities located at our Park. We are taking reservations for our 3 Picnic Pavilions for 2014.
Winter Weather Advisory
The Greene Township Board of Supervisors would like the residents of Greene Township to keep in mind the snow removal policies and help us as we attempt to maintain safe and passable roads this winter. You can assist us by remembering a few important tips.
- Greene Township’s procedure on snow removal is as follows: During the storm the trucks will make initial and subsequent passes to open roadways and keep the roads at passable conditions. After the storm the trucks will make multiple passes and clean intersections. Please remember this policy when clearing driveways and parking areas.
- Please do not park on township roads and cul-de-sacs. Your car can be damaged from snow and other debris being moved by the plow. This is also a violation of the Township Code.
- Please keep trash bags and containers off of the roadway. Greene Township is not responsible for damage to containers that are on the roadway or in the road right-of-way.
- When following a snowplow please remain a safe distance behind the vehicle so that the operator can see you. These trucks stop and back up often as well as deposit anti-skid on the road surface.
- Do not shovel snow from your property onto the road surface or plow across the road to deposit the snow on the other side. These practices reduce the melting effect of the salt and remove the anti-skid from the road surface. This creates an icy patch on the road that is very difficult to remove. This is also against the law and you can be fined up to $300 per incident.
- Is your mailbox ready for winter? Make sure your mailbox is firmly supported in the ground. You may want to consider the use of reflective tape or other material to make it easier to see during storms or during dark hours. If your mailbox is located within the limits of the legal right-of-way any damages caused by snow or ice are the responsibility of the property owner.
Most importantly, if you don’t have to travel please stay home. The fewer the number of vehicles on the road the better it is for our operators to do a fast and effective job of removing snow and ice.
Spring Bulk Collection
Bulk Collection days for Spring 2014 have been scheduled for the following dates and times:
Friday, April 11, 2014 7:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Saturday, April 12, 2014 7:00 AM – 3:00 PM (Note closing time on Saturday is now 3:00 PM)
The collection will be at the Township building located at 1145 Garver Lane in the village of Scotland. This service is provided to the residents (not commercial) of Greene Township from the Supervisors. Residents should bring drivers license as a form of identification or have a Greene Township identification sticker on the vehicle.
A bulky item is an item that will not fit in your garbage container or weighs more than 50 pounds. Bulky items must be free of all garbage. Building materials, loose material, and items that can be broken down to fit in a garbage container are not bulky items and will NOT be accepted. Please do NOT bring liquefied paints, spray cans, fuel drums, and other hazardous materials. We are unable to accept them. In addition, construction debris will NOT be accepted. Arrangements need to be made with the landfill to dump construction debris. We will accept items not picked up by your regular trash service but we do NOT accept regular household trash (bags of garbage, recyclables, etc). Yard waste is also NOT accepted during bulk collection. Greene Township accepts yard waste on a regular basis at our composting facility on Mickey Inn Road.
Vehicle batteries will be accepted again. We continue to accept 20 lb. propane bottles as well as up to eight tires per household for disposal this Spring. We can only accept standard car or pick-up truck tires. Rims and tires must be separated.
Spring Brush & Leaf Collection
Greene Township will be commencing Spring brush and leaf pick-up beginning on the following dates:
Brush: Monday, March 31, 2014
Leaves: Monday, April 14, 2014
The collection crew will make ONE pass through the Township. Please place your brush and rake your leaves to the edge of your yard, no further than four feet from the edge of the pavement of the road. Do NOT bag your leaves. Brush should be no longer than 8 feet in length and no bigger than 3 inches in diameter. The brush and leaves must be on separate piles in order for the Township machinery to collect it and must be placed for pick-up on the first day of the collection schedule. If the brush and leaves are not separated, they will not be collected. Do NOT place brush and leaves next to mailboxes, fence posts, etc. as they can be damaged by the equipment.
Wednesdays, Fridays & Saturdays - 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM
This schedule will continue throughout the year except on holidays, holiday weekends, or special events such as bulk collection days. If the compost facility will be closed, signs will be posted at the gates. The composting facility accepts most types of yard waste except grass clippings. At various times during the year, after completing the composting process, leaf compost and bark mulch are available for pick-up. Material is on a first come first served basis. You may stop by the facility on Mickey Inn Road during regular hours to check on availability. All material generated by the composting facility is available only to current township residents (photo identification or Greene Township identification sticker will be required) at a cost of $5.00 per small bucket scoop and $10.00 per large bucket scoop. No dump truck loads permitted.
Greene Township Identification Stickers
Township Supervisors are providing identification vehicle stickers, free of charge, to any resident providing photo identification verification at the Township office or Compost Facility.
– Sticker will be used on Bulk Days and at the Compost as proof of residency.
Any questions to above matters, please contact Township Supervisors at (717) 263-9160.
You will need Adobe Acrobat 6.0 or higher to view the maps and the newsletter.